We’re Packing Heat—Heat Tips, That Is!
6 Ideas to Keep You Warm This Winter
Do you rely solely on your commercial heating system to keep you warm during winter? If so, you’re putting a lot of strain on your system, especially during extreme temperatures like we’re experiencing this winter. As a result, you might be increasing the chances of a heating repair.
You can protect your unit’s wellbeing and your budget by finding other ways to stay warm. Here are some recommendations from our experts at Swanton Energy Services:
- Bundle up! Adding layers to your outfit isn’t just a fashion statement. It’s also an energy-efficient way to stay warm. Just remember: When layering up, choose winter friendly material, such as wool, fleece and, if you really want to indulge, cashmere.
- Don’t leave doors to vacant rooms open. Closing doors to unused rooms reduces heat waste by keeping more warmth in occupied rooms of your home.
- Use your curtains to your advantage. Preserving heat is equally as important as generating heat. This is where curtains can help. Keep your curtains open during the day and use the sun as an extra heat source. Opt for thick curtains and close them at night. This helps prevent heat from your system and the sun from seeping through the windows.
- Use daily hygiene to your advantage. Leave the bathroom door open while showering to allow the warm air to travel to the rest of your home. (That is, of course, if you have the luxury to do so!)
- Set your ceiling fan blades to run clockwise. Turning your fan on during the winter may seem counterintuitive, but it’s not. Switching your ceiling fan blades to run in a clockwise direction actually pushes warm air down toward you.
- Put a stop to drafts. During this time of year, drafts are a homeowner’s arch nemesis. Because hot air is attracted to the cold (and vice versa), your home’s heated air is constantly searching to escape through cracks or crevasses. Meanwhile, cold outside air is seeking ways to enter your home. This most commonly occurs around doors and windows. Luckily, there are plenty of ways to seal your home, such as purchasing draft stoppers and caulking your windows and doors.
- Schedule heating maintenance. The more you give to your heating system, the more you’ll get in return. If routine inspections aren’t a priority, we highly recommend that you reconsider. Scheduling regular heating services and inspections and periodic heating tune-ups will help you land the heating system you deserve—a unit that effortlessly meets your comfort demands affordably, efficiently and for years to come. If your furnace isn’t functioning properly, look for a furnace repair technician to have it fixed before winter.
- Upgrade to a programmable thermostat. Take comfort knowing that your home is operating at the most energy-efficient temperature by installing a smarter thermostat from Swanton. Click here to discover how this device gives you more control of your comfort while you’re home or away and leads to significant energy savings.
Cozy up to Our Warm Servicing!
Repairs happen. If the need for a heating repair arises, remember that speed is your friend. The quicker you contact us to fix your unit, the less likely a small problem will escalate to a bigger, more costly repair. Plus, when you put your trust in us, you’ll receive $50 off of your repair!
To discover more heating tips or to schedule a heating repair, contact us online or call us at 732.708.7926 today!